Recipe: Stuffed Zucchini
Summary: Great way to eat your veggies!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 6 medium zucchinis, scrubbed but not peeled
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
- Cook whole zucchini in skillet with a little boiling water, 5-10 minutes or until barely tender.
- Drain and cool zucchini.
- While zucchini is cooling, sauté onion, garlic in butter.
- Add mushrooms and cook another 3 minutes.
- Set aside onion, garlic, and mushroom mixture.
- Slice cooked and cooled zucchini lengthwise.
- Scoop out center, leaving enough pulp to keep shells firm.
- Chop pulp and combine with other ingredients, except nuts.
- Stuff zucchini boats with mixture.
- Sprinkle tops with Parmesan cheese and nuts.
- Bake 15-20 minutes in 400° F. oven.
Great vegetarian entrée, but you can also add cooked rice, diced tomatoes, and/or ground meat for variety. Add a salad and you have a complete meal.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Recipe by Charlene.