Onions and Pets – A word of caution must be made now so you don’t overlook this important information. Onions, any type, are toxic to pets. This includes dogs, cat, and guinea pigs; but I’d just keep them away from any other pets as well. And whether the onion is in a fresh form, frozen, dehydrated or some other version, it’s still harmful and deadly to your pets.
One of the ingredients in onions, thiosulphate, is the culprit. When animals ingest onion, it causes hemolytic anemia which is damage to the red blood cells. This onion toxicity causes red blood cells circulating through your pet’s body to burst. Symptoms of this type of poisoning include lethargy, breathlessness, diarrhea, and vomiting; and the symptoms can take up to two-to-four days to appear.
Perhaps one little piece or slice may not throw your pet into onion toxicity, but if your pet eats more over a period of time, it can build up in their system. Best advice is to keep onions AWAY from any of your pets.
Find an onion you like and incorporate it into some of your cooking this week. Your taste buds and your heart will thank you.
[sam id=”3″ codes=”true”]