Recipe: Left Over Turkey and Rice Soup
Summary: For those after Thanksgiving turkey bones made into a delicious soup.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
- turkey, roasted (carcass of your Thanksgiving turkey)
- 8 cups low sodium fat-free turkey broth
- water as needed
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 cup green beans, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 1 10 oz. package of frozen broccoli
- 1 16 oz. package of frozen mixed vegetables
- Seasonings to taste
- Cook down the turkey carcass to get all the meat removed. Put in a large stockpot, cover with water, bring to a boil, and cook for 3-4 hours.
- Remover all the bones. Break up any chunks of turkey.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Bring stockpot to boil. Add rice and spices. Simmer, stirring occasionally for about 20-30 minutes.
- Steam onions, carrots, celery, green beans, and mixed veggies for 25 minutes.
- Add steamed veggies to stockpot. Continue simmering for 15 minutes.
We get Trader Joe’s Hodge-Podge vegetables.
Add any other vegetable you like, including tomatoes, cabbage, kale, and many others.
Number of servings (yield): 32 (1 cup)
Recipe by Charlene.