Recipe: Homemade Vegetable Pasta Sauce
Summary: Nutritious, savory, and quick pasta sauce. Just add whole grain pasta.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1 cup medium zucchini diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- 2 cans low sodium diced tomatoes
- 10 fresh basil leaves chopped
- splash of parmesan grated cheese
- 8 ounces of whole grain pasta
- Sauté onions in olive oil 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes, zucchini, broccoli, salt, and pepper and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add basil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Number of servings: 4
Notes: Fix pasta per box instructions. Use 2 ounces pasta of your choice per serving. Fix only what you are going to use immediately. You could also put it over brown rice or any other type of grains.
Calories include 2 ounces of pasta.
Calories: 330.5; Fat: 8.4; Carbohydrates: 56.9; Fiber: 11.5; Sugar: 10.5; Protein: 10
Recipe adapted from Kaiser.