Recipe: Chicken Chile Bean Soup
Summary: A savory soup with black beans and green chiles. It has a distinct Mexican taste. Yes Chile is spelled right as it refers to the green chiles.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots. chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons minced or crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 2 28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 15 oz. can corn
- 1 7 oz. can green chiles
- 2 15 oz. cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Monterey jack cheese (optional)
- (To prepare chicken see recipe here.)
- Steam the celery, carrots, onions, and green beans until tender approximately 25 minutes. (This speeds up the cooking time and insures vegetables are tender.)
- Stir in chili powder, garlic, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add corn, chiles, beans, and chicken and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve in a soup bowl adding a sprinkle of cheese if desired.
Add other toppings as desired.
Number of servings (yield): 24 at 1 cup
Calories: 132; Fat: 1.2; Carbohydrates: 18.3; Fiber: 4.8; Sugar: .8; Protein: 13.4
Recipe idea from SparkPeople adapted by Jack.