Recipe: Crock-pot Taco Soup
Summary: An easy to fix, savory Mexican style soup.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours
- 1 can kidney beans (undrained)
- 1 can white beans (undrained)
- 1 can black beans (undrained)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cans low sodium diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 can corn (undrained)
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- Crumble and brown ground beef.
- Place all ingredients in crock-pot.
- Cook for 8 to 10 hours on low.
You can also cook this on stove top for 30 minutes.
Number of servings: 6
Calories: 347.3; Fat: 3.9; Carbohydrates: 50.1; Fiber: 16.7; Sugar: .8; Protein: 30.7
Recipe adapted from SparkPeople.
Recipe: Easy Split Pea Soup
Summary: An easy non-fat split pea soup.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours
- 1 bag – 3 1/4 cups dried split peas
- 6-8 cups water
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 5 oz of shredded carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Add water and split peas in large stockpot and cook on low, stirring often.
- Combine celery, onions, and carrots in a steamer and steam until tender.
- Cook the split peas until they are completely soft 4-5 hours.
- When peas are almost tender, add the steamed vegetables, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix.
- Continue cooking on low until soup becomes more pureed. Serve immediately.
Add water as needed. If you prefer a soupier split pea soup, you’ll want to add more water. If you want a thicker, more pureed soup, you may not need to add more water. It may take a couple of times to get soup the consistency you like.
Add other kinds of seasoning as desired.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Calories: 151; Fat: .6; Carbohydrates: 28.3; Fiber: 10.4; Sugar: 4; Protein: 9.6
Recipe by Charlene.