Recipe: Black and Red Bean Chili
Summary: A hearty nutritious bean chili.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 15 ounce cans of red kidney beans. rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can of whole kernel sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Combine oatmeal and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Heat 1/8 cup of water in a large saucepan and water sauté onions until soft about 5 minutes.
- Stir in green bell peppers and sauté an additional 3 minutes adding water as needed.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, beans, corn, chili powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add oatmeal and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
You may use other grains such as bulgur and couscous. May also add fresh cilantro to mix.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Calories: 225; Fat: 1.4; Carbohydrates: 43.7; Fiber: 12.6; Sugar: 2.4; Protein: 11.3
Recipe adapted from Tailgate Chili by www.drfuhrman.com.