We have a grandson who has loved vegetables from as early as he could chew. Other kids have a hard time with veggies. For some people, getting their five servings a day is hard. I remember a teacher at Weight Watchers say that you can’t get fat eating veggies.
8. Pump up the veggies!
You don’t just have to sit you broccoli next to your protein. The diet we are on does that for most dinners. However, you can jazz up the veggies so it makes an enjoyable meal.
Here are a few tips to increase your veggie use.
- Plan some meals around a vegetable main dish, such as a vegetable stir-fry or soup. Then add other foods to complement it.
- Try a main dish salad for lunch. Go light on the salad dressing.
- Include a green salad with your dinner every night.
- Shred carrots or zucchini into meatloaf, casseroles, quick breads, and muffins.
- Include chopped vegetables in pasta sauce or lasagna.
- Order a veggie pizza with toppings like mushrooms, green peppers, and onions, and ask for extra veggies.
- Use pureed, cooked vegetables such as potatoes to thicken stews, soups and gravies. These add flavor, nutrients, and texture.
- Grill vegetable kabobs as part of a barbecue meal. Try tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers, and onions.
You can eat veggies at every meal. Add asparagus, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, and your favorite veggies to an omelet. I like to toss them in an egg scramble.
Salads are a great place to pile on the veggies. Try having a vegetable lunch or dinner on occasion. My diet wants me to have protein with each meal so I’m adding chicken to my veggies.
Try some new vegetables. Maybe pick one a month. We tried kale and found it very good, especially in a soup. Check for what’s in season. Also take a gander at the frozen food section. Check for new things you might not have tried. Sometimes they combine different vegetables. We like Trader Joe’s Hodge Podge.
Vegetables will help fill you up and are low-cost with low calories. Just don’t add high calorie toppings. Spice them. Mrs. Dash has several no salt spice varieties. So live it up and eat your veggies.